21 Compelling Email Marketing and Personalization Stats You Need to Know Now


We all know how effective email marketing can be, and that it only gets better with personalization. Here are 21 email personalization stats that show you where the future of email personalization is going—and how you can get on board.

Email is here to stay
  • • Email achieves a 28.5% ROI as compared to a 7.5% ROI for direct mail. (Chief Marketer)
  • • 59% of marketers say that email marketing is their biggest source of ROI. (Emma)
  • • Email marketing drives $44 for every $1 invested. (Campaign Monitor)
  • • 94% of people say checking their email is the main reason they go online. It’s the #1 activity on the internet. (Marketo)
Personalization makes email so much better
  • • 74% of marketers say targeted personalization increases customer engagement rates. (eConsultancy)
  • • Personalized emails deliver 6x higher transactional rates. (Experian)
  • • Segmented, targeted, and personalized emails generate 58% of all revenue. (DMA)
  • • Personalized email marketing generates a median ROI of 122%. (eMarketer)
  • • 50% of companies feel they can increase interaction within email by increasing personalization. (Experian)
  • • Emails with personalized subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened. (Campaign Monitor)
Yet many companies still need to improve email personalization
  • • 67% of people who unsubscribed from a brand’s promotional emails indicated that they received too many irrelevant emails. (Convince and Convert)
  • • 38% of marketers said their #1 goal was getting better at personalization, and 36% said it was their #1 challenge. (Campaign Monitor)
  • • Only 6% of organizations consider themselves to be in the “advanced” stages of personalization. The other 94% reported that they “are not doing any personalization (10%), “just starting out” (28%) or “in process.” (Monetate)
  • • When email is not personalized, 52% of customers say they’ll find somewhere else to go. (Salesforce)
Get creative! Examples of personalization done well
  • • Emails with personalized subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened. (Campaign Monitor)
  • • Birthday emails generate 342% higher revenue per email than promotional emails. (Experian)
  • • 56% of brands using emojis in their subject lines had a higher unique open rate. (Campaign Monitor)
  • • The red heart emoji generates the most positive result, garnering a 6% increase in opens. (MarTech)
  • • 65% of users prefer emails to contain mostly images, compared to 35% who prefer text. (HubSpot)
  • • An introductory email that includes a video receives an increase in click-through rates by 96%.  (Campaign Monitor)
  • • Including video in an email leads to a whopping 200-300% increase in click-through rates. (Forrester)

Email personalization can be a powerful advantage – if you use it to its full capabilities. Liveclicker’s advanced email experiences deliver so many innovative ways to personalize email messages, create new email experiences that delight customers, and help your company achieve significant email results.  

Interested in learning more? Stay tuned for additional Liveclicker blogs where we highlight more examples of innovative personalization strategies.


Articles Up Next

Capture, Captivate, and Convert

Get a Demo